Be encouraged…you can control your most powerful weapon by….keeping your mouth shut. What? Yep…your tongue is your most powerful weapon. Almost without taking a breath, you can build some up to the highest heights with praise….and in a microsecond crush them to the point of despair. Isn’t that amazing? Because all your tongue does is guide vibrating air out of your throat to make a noise that is “interpreted” by those with ears. But that little appendage has the ability to start wars, leave lifelong scars….or provide soothing comfort in a time of great pain. So really the tongue is just a “rudder” to steer what comes out of the heart. Consider these verses…
- Luke 6:45 – The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. (NIV)
- Proverbs 21:23 - Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble. (ESV)
- James 3:2-10 – For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body. If we put bits into the mouths of horses so that they obey us, we guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also: though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell…(ESV)
Yep…you guessed it…GOSSIP. Gossip is a cruel and ungodly activity. It is basically somebody just chomping at the bit to tell you something that they really know nothing about. And it hurts everybody….let me tell you why. It hurts 3 people….
- The person who the gossip is about
- The person who hears the gossip
- The person who says it
So use your weapon for good and not evil. Build up people…don’t break them down.
Be encouraged…you can use your weapon for good.
Grace and Peace, Dan