Merry Christmas everybody. I had a chance to do something very different today, and it reminded me of what Christmas is all about.
A friend of mine, Jay does has this amazing thing that he does called the 25th project. A few years back, he realized how lonely it is on holidays, and he did something about it! He also realized that on Thanksgiving and Christmas, people are very benevolent….and they do nice things for folks. In this case, it is the “homeless” folks.
But actually they are just people who don’t live in houses…but they have names….like Russell, and Bob, and Bud, and John….and they are folks who need our help.
While guys like me normally sit around and do nothing….guys like Jay get moving. That is Jesus in action. That is called being the hands and feet of Christ. They give up time, energy, and money every month to cook meals, collect coats, give gifts….and more than that befriend the men and women that live in the woods in the Northern Virginia area.
You see here is what Christmas is really all about.
- Jesus came to earth to take away the punishment for our sins.
- Jesus paid the price on the Cross of Crucifixion.
- Jesus overcame death when He was resurrected from the dead.
- Jesus ascended into Heaven so that He could send us the Holy Spirit…..so that Jesus could continue to live His life through us!
BUT….most of us waste it….but not Jay and the 25th project folks. They spend the 25th of every month serving the folks who are without homes…so that they know that they have value in life. To know that there are people who care about them.
Let’s see….how does Jesus say it?
- Matthew 10:42 – “And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward.” (NASB)
- John 14:12-15 – 12“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. 13“Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.14“If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. 15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. (NASB)
Do you hear that? If you LOVE Me….you will keep My commandments. Sadly…not too many of us do that. But the folks who serve with the 25th project do that.
Be encouraged…you can make a difference….just like Jay Herriot does. Why don’t you help out the 25th project. Thanks Jay! And thanks for letting me and my family be a part of it.
Grace and peace, Dan