February 11, 2013
Whew…done. I have finished the journey…for this year at least, and I have come to one conclusion….GOD DOESN’T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT YOURSELF….HE ONLY CARES ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT HIM!!! We live in a feel good society, where everybody does what his right in their own eyes, because it makes them happy. That is about the stupidest thing that rational people could believe. There is only one thing that matters…Jesus, and your relationship with Him!!
How do I come to that conclusion? The bible makes it clear. It is no surprise in my bible readings I couldn’t seem to get out of the Old Testament. The theme of the Old Testament? God is God….period. We are to repent and return to Him…and we will be blessed. That is far different from living the way that we “want” to live and telling ourselves that it is good as long as we are happy. That is a lie from the Pit of Hell…
It is also no coincidence that my readings today were Psalm 34 (the first Psalm that I memorized in 1987, when God first started to get a hold of me ), Proverbs 3 (which has governed my life in my walk with God for the past two years), and Acts 1 (which is the first Christian talk that I ever gave to a group of Christians)…..here are the verses that really stood at at me…
- Psalm 34:8 – Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him! (NKJV)
- Proverbs 3:27 – Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in the power of your hand to do so. (NKJV)
- Acts 1:11 – “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.” (NIV)
I think that these are 3 really hard hitting verses (of the 2000 verses that I could have chosen from). And here they are in my paraphrase….
- Try God out and see if He doesn’t come through. What do you have to lose? Nothing… What do you have to gain? Everything…
- Always look to the left and the right and see if there is anything that you can do for anybody. ESPECIALLY when they are people who are always doing good for others.
- Oh for crying out loud…..get to work. Jesus is coming back…now you have work to do!
We live in a very dark world….if you doubt it; read the paper, listen to the news, listen to everyone complain about how bad it is. Just consider this sample of things that exist in our world….
- We murder over 4000 unborn children everyday, and call it our moral right to choose.
- We have a President and Secretary of Defense…and many of our legislators and judges that say one of our most important issues in this country is that we need to do everything in our power to encourage people to feel good about their homosexual lifestyles….and encourage them to continue as long as they are happy. And despite the many voices of African American Pastors that say NO….and decry the comparison….they call it a civil rights issue.
- We have churches that despite their silence on issues 1 and 2 feel that the number one goal of the church is to engage on “gun control.”
- We have thousands of people arrested for child pornography charges daily….by the way, whose kids do you think they are taking pictures of? Ours!
- We have our National “Leadership” that is telling us the best thing for our nation is for women to be on the front lines of combat. Despite the fact that women who work “in” the home and take care of our precious resources (our children) are almost vilified and our birth rate is so low that we can’t even sustain our population.
- The “greatest generation” who did so much for this country are silent…instead of warning us that we are on a collision course with total destruction.
- We have over 340,000 people returning from the war dealing with PTSD, and we don’t want to tell them that God has a plan for their lives…because we want separation of church and state.
But with ALL of this…here is what God says to us…
- Isaiah 1:18 – Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD, “Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool. (NASB)
- Acts 3:17 – And now, brethren, I know that you acted in ignorance, just as your rulers did also. (NASB)
And what do we need to do in response? It is SO EASY!!! PLEASE…PLEASE…REPENT!!
- Joel 2:13 – And rend your hearts and not your garments.” Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and he relents over disaster. (ESV)
- Isaiah 44:22 – I have blotted out your transgressions like a cloud and your sins like mist; return to me, for I have redeemed you. (ESV)
- Matthew 4:17 – From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” (ESV)
- Luke 5:32 – I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”
- Acts 2:38 – And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (ESV)
And why? Because He loves us…and He wants us to be with Him forever….and why?
John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. (NIV)
Be very…very encouraged. Jesus didn’t come to this world to save the righteous…but the sinners. Sinners like you and like me. Our world has done the best it can to choke God our of our lives and to make Him seem evil…but that is a lie! He is a good God who desires the best for us. And all He wants in return is for us to desire to be with Him. He will take care of the rest.
Put God to the test…and see if He won’t shower you with blessings…and make your life meaningful. The world promises nothing but despair and darkness. If you think I am wrong just look at the tragedies that we read about in the news of the rich and powerful and famous. All of those things are worthless…Jesus asks us this question…
Mark 8:36 – What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? (NIV)
So please…please….don’t let the world steal the joy that God desires you to have. If you haven’t accepted Jesus Christ as your Savior…then none of these promises apply to you. The world is all that you have…take a good look at it, and see if that is where you desire to place your hopes. OR…would you please….please…please…place your hopes in Jesus, who tells us this…
Revelation 3:20 – Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
Do I really believe this. Let me put it this way….yes. If you still don’t understand, or have questions…email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please don’t read this and then do nothing….Jesus is knocking, and all you have to do is open the door. Your life will never be the same….and you will be so amazed at the transforming power of God in your life that you will want to tell everybody. And YOU will want to be an encourager to everyone you know. That is why I spent the last year doing this…
I know this is long…but that is what 365 days of writing will do to you…but I would be remiss if I didn’t say thank you to my wife, Anne Marie…who gave me the greatest blessing of all by telling me that she read this blog often (with no coercion), my friend Ron who manages this blog and called me if I didn’t write early just to make sure that I wasn’t dead. Chuck, Paul, and Chris, who I have shared many cups of coffee with, and prayers with this past year…and all of which inspired me to keep going…even when I wanted to quit.
Jude 1:24-25 – To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— 25 to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
Grace, and the Peace of our Lord be with you all. Dan